Active Environments – Philosophy
We at Active Environments believe in the right of every captive animal to experience the highest degree of welfare, and an optimal level of care. We are firm believers in the power, and the benefits of non-aversive, positive training techniques to help achieve this result. That is why, whenever and however possible, we spread the word and provide assistance to facilities that cannot otherwise afford our services. To date, AE has provided on site consulting services pro bono to facilities in Mexico, South America, and Southeast Asia. Knowledge leads to action, therefore we are committed to continuing this practice to improve the lives of captive animals everywhere.
Because of our personal and professional commitment to species conservation and the environment, in 1998 we formed Wildlife in Need (WIN), a US-based non-profit organization. WIN’s mission: We are a group of animal welfare and environmental advocates committed to enriching the lives of individual animals and contributing to the survival of the world’s species through habitat preservation and restoration, community-based action, public education, and professional training. WIN has a cooperative relationship with Ocean Adventure (OA), an open water marine park in Subic Bay with a strong conservation agenda. Together we are implementing a number of conservation activities in the Philippines, including the following:
- Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Center to care for sick, injured, and confiscated wildlife.
- Sea turtle rescue and rehabilitation, nest protection and monitoring, and public education.
- Whale and dolphin rescue and rehabilitation; leading the development of a Philippine Marine Mammal Stranding Network.
- Long-tailed macaque rehabilitation and reintroduction project
- Public education campaign Keep it Wild! against illegal and inhumane wildlife pet trade.
Learn more about: Our History | Our Team | Our Philosophy